pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 57, Issue 1 Lepanthes adrianae vs sijmii

  • From: "Horak, David" <DavidHorak@bbg.org>
  • To: "'pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org'" <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 57, Issue 1 Lepanthes adrianae vs sijmii
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:22:36 -0500

Somehow I only just received this ancient thread forwarded via the Digest but
a year out, it is timely for me.

In the past I'd noticed the "similarity" of the two species as reflected by
the plants in our collection here at BBG (Brooklyn Botanic Garden) but never
gotten around to really looking into it; to complicate it even more there are
images of Lepanthes cordeliae, on line, that are identical as well. As it
turns out, in the last couple of days I was thinking I needed to get some
clarity on the wonderful identical plants we have carrying three different
names. I am pretty sure most of those attributed as cordeliae are wrong but
it does highlight how misidentifications of similar - or even not so similar
- species get propagated very easily and quickly via the internet so that our
understanding of what something "is" can be very off the mark.

As I do not have access to the Icones or Selbyana myself at the moment to
compare, was there ever any result or follow up clarifying these species?

Dave Horak

Message: 2