pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2

  • From: "Horak, David" <DavidHorak@bbg.org>
  • To: "pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org" <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:11:46 -0500

We have Pleurothallis colossus here at the Garden (Brooklyn Botanic) which
came from a collection bequeathed to us in 2008. This is a plant that came to
the person as a division from Orq. del Valle at the WOC that year. It was a
bit scraggly and divided into 3 pieces, two of which we retain and the third
which went to another individual as a backup. Do we have extras? No, sorry
folks and it won't be divided any time soon.

Plths. praegrandis is considered a synonym for colossus. As far as I know, it
is exceedingly rare in collections even if it isn't in nature. I know from
talking with Juan Carlos and Andrea that they had been trying to propagate it
from seed but were unable to get them past seedlings of a certain size before
they would die. Every time I see them, they ask about it. I see that the
species is offered on their current online pricelist.

We have many of the large Pleuro/Stelis/Acronia here at BBG which grow quite
well, quickly, and are getting quite large. The colossus, is the largest of
the group in terms of height but it is much different in terms of how it
grows. All of them are potted in straight fine bark, watered every day and
fertilized regularly at the same rate as the rest of the collection. I don't
consider these to be light feeders but then again I do water every day. The
colossus is the exception by being exceptionally slow, only adding three or
four growths a year. According to Juan Carlos and Andrea it wants cool
temperatures, good light and a large footprint. All of these are repotted
annually and on this last cycle I top dressed the colossus with a balanced
formula Nutricote which is in addition to the regular weekly fertilization.
The extra nutrition seems to be making a difference and it is getting taller
and more vigorous with time. The plant itself is approaching 4 feet in height
and the leaves perhaps 10 inches or so in length. Unfortunately, I still have
yet to see flowers though all the other pleuros bloom regularly. I just
noticed the other day that new growths were breaking so hopefully this will
be the year it hits that critical mass or gets whatever it needs to bloom.

It would be great to know if there are others out there with the species.
Anyone?

Best,

Dave Horak