pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 12

  • From: Goldorchid@aol.com
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 12
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:47:32 EST

Hi Guys,
Sorry to not respond much but, life has been way to interesting lately. May you never be bored is an understatement!
I frequently grow Masd. & Drac. in spagnum in a net pot in the house & grow room where I can mist/water them regularly. When I put them outsied for our hot summers I put them in a clay pot that is larger(with more sphag.) to help with evaporative cooling AND when I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks I do the same to help my critter sitter (2 BIG dogs & a Macaw) cope with the orchids. I have yet to bloom some of the easier to grow draculas NOT because of this practice but, 'cause of climate changes in my situation that seems to blast the buds about mid-formation. Too much cool mist, cool air/hi fan before the lights come on??? Is showing cold damage & fungus preliminary situations...
In MN you fight with 1 or the other- too hot & wet or dry & cold.
Happier New Year of Growing these pesky things,
Regards,
Kathy in MN

  • [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 12, Goldorchid, 12/27/2004