pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Coconut water, Restrepia propagation

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Coconut water, Restrepia propagation
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:23:32 +1300

Hi Thomas and others,

I must search the supermarket shelves here for canned coconut water. It certainly shows by the picture on the can that it is from green coconuts. Another place I might try for it is the Chinese or Asian warehouse here. They have all sorts of unusual canned fruits like durians and mangosteens. Might have your coconut water. Failing that I will try in Auckland sometime which is the biggest Polynesian city in the world. They might sell green coconuts.

I would have thought using it with charcoal would remove some of the vital growth factors?

"Orchid propagation in vitro course"
This sounds a great way to get school kids interested in growing orchids, Thomas! Its so hard to motivate and get young blood in orchid clubs nowadays. A bit of simple science might be the way!

Re seed
Thomas, that cross macrura x pachyura is sure going to be ugly! I'll find something much more worthwhile for you.

Question - Restrepia striata

I have a huge Restrepia striata with a mass of leaves. I read somewhere ages ago how to remove leaves and get new plants from under each leaf. Can someone describe how its done please?

Ron Maunder - NZ

  • [pleurothallid-l] Coconut water, Restrepia propagation, Ron Maunder, 12/18/2004