pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

  • From: Joorchids@aol.com
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:32:13 EDT

Yes..the plant Carlo had was grown in NZmoss.  I want to add something here..I have over the years grown several hundred different types of masdevallias..and some of them have been exquisite.  The key for me for flowering..is for sure...not too much fert.  You are right..it does inhibit flowering..I switch to bloom booster fert. for a couple months prior to prime blooming periods depending on your location.  It is also very important...to not keep orchids in NZmoss for too long as the moss gets toxic very quickly..I repotted almost every 6 months into a mix of NZmoss, tiny charcoal, and med. grade perlite.  this with very dilute fert.mix. at 1/4 strength.  and no fert at all during cold months.  (mostly cold at night..as I set refrig. to operate for 4 months at low of 50 during winter, high of 70degrees)  This was "my" winter.  artificial of course. When I wanted to induce blooming again...i raised temps in refrigerator...increased daylight hours..and voila!  blooms......Peter's bloom booster fert. is good for this purpose.  Jodi

  • [pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5, Joorchids, 09/09/2003