pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Questions

  • From: Katie Pleasance <katie@katiesorchids.com>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Questions
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:25:46 -0700

I have discovered that in a small container (I used 21
gallon clear plastic restaurant bins for propagating and as
a seedling "house") even with very high humidity, the
plants (and the sphagnum moss that they were planted in)
suffered severe dessication when I had a couple computer
muffin fans providing lots of circulation. Even with a
layer of water covering the whole bottom of the bin (the
seedlings were held above the water by a plastic grid).

The only answer that I could come up with was very frequent
watering and not depending on the very high humidity to
keep the plants moist. I was not using a fogger, and if I
had, it would run frequently on a timer to counteract the
wind-caused dessication.

I guess that in addition to wind-chill factor there is also
wind-dry factor <g>.

Katie