pleurothallid-l - RE: [pleurothallid-l] (no subject)

  • From: Katie Pleasance <katie@katiesorchids.com>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [pleurothallid-l] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:39:29 -0700

I'll introduce myself,

I'm Katie Pleasance.

I grow Masdevallias and a single Dracula in a walkway on
the north side of a two-storey house in Hayward,
California. That's across the Bay and just a few miles
south of San Francisco. The walkway is protected by shade
cloth and I put up freeze cloth on cold nights. We usually
get only a couple mild frosts annually. The walkway
receives an almost constant breeze from the west. During
the height of summer the area gets some direct sun and the
plants suffer dehydration. All of the masdevallias and
draculas are either on mounts or in baskets and they dry
quickly in the breeze. I recently put up a mister on a
timer running the length of the wall where the mounts are
hung. This has helped the dehydration problems.

Happy plant-hunting and good growing.

Katie
Katie Pleasance
Hayward, CA