permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Planting on dams

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Planting on dams
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:21:04 -0800

Don't let gophers or moles get started on or near the dam. My thoughts are
to plant Kentucky 31 Fescue really carefully and let it become a mature
stand with very good root systems without clumping. Keep it mowed tall
and don;t use a mower, use an Austrian scythe, lightweight, effective, easy
to control, lots of different types of blades available. Sources include
Scythe Works and One Scythe Revolution. The density of the planting is
important; use just the right amount of seed in really well prepared and
fertilized soil.
Probably best to plant in early spring. Do a search for optimum seeding
rate, i.e. spacing on individual grass plants; this would be a good idea.
Info is probably readily available even recommendations for planting grass
on a dam.
Scythe Works
https://scytheworks.ca/
One Scythe Revolution