permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [sustagnet] Fwd: [compost_tea] Soil microbes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [sustagnet] Fwd: [compost_tea] Soil microbes
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 22:14:08 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [sustagnet] Fwd: [compost_tea] Soil microbes
To: <sustagnet@googlegroups.com>

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:55 PM Frank Schultz <wb5ayy@aircanopy.net> wrote:

> You have an impossible request:

If Elaine Ingham was accessible in any of the prevalent forums she would
have a helpful reply but she left for Australia.
I would suggest that he look for information about the soil foodweb she has
written wherever you can find it online. I think there are 6 main
categories of microorganisms that inhabit healthy soil.
I'd have to find this info in my permaculture list archives but I did go to
a lot of trouble to archive it.

protozoa
bacteria
fungi
algae
actinomycetes

nematodes
earthworms
dung beetles
fire ants, Natures little rototillers :-)
moles

useful substances produced in healthy soils that contribute to soil
quality: glomalin, chitin
Despite the need for error checking and updating I compiled some
interesting information about the above gleaned from the Internet in this
document.
It revolves around my fascination with no or minimal till raised beds.
Emelia Hazelip was an expert in this. Quarry rock dusts are beyond valuable
in soil quality building.
All winter I have been eating giant salads of arugula, cilantro, mustard
and turnip greens, upland cress, romaine grown in a pair of large raised
beds that have a lot of granite and pyrophyllite dust added to the soil.
*Farm and Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist & Biointensive Gardening Guide*
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MP85QDZW4x8PXCeXEa0hyVbI98JEeHOLJcj71I1h3Ek/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
https://sites.google.com/site/biointensivefarming/

Summaries of selected online resources:
---------------------------------------
Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
Archive
1http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/1/maillist.html
Archive
2http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/2/maillist.html
Archive
3http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/3/maillist.html
Archive
4http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/4/maillist.html
Archive
5http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/5/maillist.html

Soils In Biological
Agriculturehttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/permaculture/mailarchives/discussion-threads/soil-quality

Remineralize the
Earthhttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/remineralization/remineralization.selected-writings

Glomalin:
Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
ARS Bulletinhttp://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/sep02/soil0902.htm