permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The curious case of tainted milk from a Maine dairy farm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: sustagnet@googlegroups.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The curious case of tainted milk from a Maine dairy farm
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 23:42:51 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Juan Alvez <jalvez@uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 9:45 PM
Subject: RE: [SANET-MG] The curious case of tainted milk from a Maine dairy
farm
To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com <sanet-mg@googlegroups.com>

Sharing…

I hope that this thread from a different discussion group can help…

-J

“Eco-machines” or living technologies designed by pioneering restoration
ecologist John Todd for the myco-bioaquatic remediation of wastewater and
hazardous waste, have been found to be extremely effective at breaking down
a wide variety of persistent organic pollutants.

One such facility — looking, to the untrained eye, like a beautiful
greenhouse — is helping to clean up the Blackstone River in Massachusetts,
considered by the EPA to be the most polluted river in the country. Heavy
metals, organic dyes, tanning compounds, PCBs, you name it, are all present.

A fraction of the river water is diverted into the nearby greenhouse where
it passes sequentially through a series of transparent cylindrical tanks,
each filled with a wide variety of plants, fish, bacteria, algae, and other
life appropriate for that ecosystem.

Each tank develops its own unique combination of species that view
pollutants in its specific influent water as food. Consequently, no two
tanks have precisely the same ecology.

Note that while John initially seeds each tank with an identical, diverse
variety of species, he does not know in advance which creatures, bacteria,
and plants will perish or flourish; the system self-organizes in the same
way nature does. As a result, the water passing through the system becomes
incrementally cleaner at each step of the process through a complex set of
biochemical reactions no one can predict.

Through a collaborative effort with mycologist Paul Stamets, water cleaned
by the bio-aquatic process then passes through a series of containers
hosting a variety of fungi, where fungi-secreted acids and enzymes further
degrade any chemical pollutants present.

Effluent water from the greenhouse, now inoculated with bacteria and fungi
that see the river’s pollution as food, then flows back into the river.

A stationary, plant-filled raft floating in the middle of the river, with
the plants’ roots dangling in the current, confers addition remediation
benefits.

With only one facility operating, the impact is modest. John hopes to build
a series of these greenhouse facilities next to the river at regular
intervals so that the entire river can be restored to a healthy, thriving
condition.

For more details and photos ...

Ecological Design along the Blackstone: Creating a Clean River…within a
River - Ecological Landscape Alliance

https://www.ecolandscaping.org/02/restoration/ecological-design-along-the-blackstone-creating-a-clean-riverwithin-a-river/

John’s new book, Healing Earth, contains a full description of how various
types of eco-machines can be designed depending upon their intended
application. Janine “Biomimicry” Benyus’ foreword to this book ranks among
the most eloquent environmental writing I’ve ever read.

Healing Earth: An Ecologist's Journey of Innovation and Environmental
Stewardship: John Todd, Matt Beam, Janine Benyus

https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Earth-Ecologists-Environmental-Stewardship/dp/1623172985

* -------------------------------*

JUAN P. ALVEZ, Ph.D.

Research Associate

Pasture Program Technical Coordinator
<https://www.uvm.edu/extension/profiles/juan-alvez>

University of Vermont Extension <http://www.uvm.edu/extension/agriculture>,
Center for Sustainable Agriculture <http://www.uvm.edu/~susagctr/>

105 Jeffords Hall, 63 Carrigan Dr., Burlington VT, 05405-5933

Best way to *contact*: jalvez-at-uvm.edu | P: 802-656-6116 | Webpage
<https://www.uvm.edu/extension/profiles/juan-alvez>

VT Pasture Network <http://www.uvm.edu/~pasture/> | Calendar
<https://www.uvm.edu/extension/sustainableagriculture/calendar-regional-sustainable-agriculture-events>
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEw_85I17VQFEP7F2axCr05WERlr8ueQJ>
| Rsch. Gate
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan_Alvez2/contributions> | Linked In
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/juan-p-alvez-ph-d-42302619/>

*“Helping individuals and communities put research-based knowledge to
work”*

* “Because building connections and deep understanding leads to a healthy
environment and high quality of life”*