permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Soil Sequencing Uncovers 500 Common, Abundant Bacterial Species | GenomeWeb

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Soil Sequencing Uncovers 500 Common, Abundant Bacterial Species | GenomeWeb
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 16:25:21 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elaine Ingham soilfoodweb@aol.com [compost_tea] <
compost_tea@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Soil Sequencing Uncovers 500 Common, Abundant
Bacterial Species | GenomeWeb
To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com

This work supports what we already were pretty sure about in the world of
microbiology. There are ONLY a few species of bacteria that are
"universal" and occur in most ecosystems.

Otherwise, most ecosystems support unique, indigenous species of microbes
that are specific to the special needs of the plant associations in that
ecosystem.

If we lose any of the special, unique, indigenous organisms then ultimately
that ecosystem will be lost as well. Human destruction of habitats, and
ecosystems, destroys the diversity that humans require to stay alive on
this planet.

This sequencing information just bolsters that conclusion. Out of the
millions of bacterial species on this planet, only 500 are found in many
ecosystems and many places on the planet. Otherwise, you need the specific
organisms that allow each of the millions of ecosystems that exist, or used
to exist on this planet, to flourish.

sorry to be so depressing on a Sunday morning, but interpret this
information the way the authors of the paper apparently were probably not
allowed to present.

Elaine R. Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc. Soil Life Consultant
Since I travel a great deal, so if I don't answer within 3 days, please
send
again.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.