permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Amazon Is Not a Wilderness, It’s an Advanced Permaculture Food Forest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Amazon Is Not a Wilderness, It’s an Advanced Permaculture Food Forest
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 22:06:02 +0200

>> There are also sections of the Congo Rain Forest that also have incredible
>> food forests created by the people indigenous to those forests.

Same goes for the forest in the interior of the Fiji ilands. When I went with
indiginous parties on trips into the interior, eg for freshwater prawn
fishing in the little rivulets, the old people gathered the mango pits after
the lunch break, and went for a small 15 minute trip into the woods, planting
those pits. And throughout the forest you find mangoes, bananas, plantain,
lemons, grapefruit, polynesian chestnut, yams, taro, passionfruit, and on the
dry side acres and acres of understory of pinapple (the small and intensively
flavoured variety), sometimes so dense that you can harldy walk it without
getting scratched and cut. Little of it is ever harvested.

Georg