permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How To Decolonize The Permaculture Movement | The Huffington Post

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How To Decolonize The Permaculture Movement | The Huffington Post
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:23:45 -0500

I guess I don't see racism as a permaculture problem. I see it as a human
problem, with a huge gradient of layers. And I didn't see that article as
being useful to dealing with it. It just seemed a shoddy lambast of
permaculture in a context I've been working in so I spoke up to ask some
more detailed questions. And some of those questions were about cultural
appropriation, which nobody bit on. I'm guessing very few want to have this
conversation, or feel safe doing so, so I'm at least glad we're having it.
We can agree to disagree that Tobias article was on point. And we can agree
on the rest, though we may have different approaches toward the work.

I'm aware permaculture can be perceived as elitist and a white space, but
saying so does discredit a whole lot of people of color who have made big
contributions and apply it in their work (whom I credit and showcase their
work constantly), though most as far as I can tell could care less about
the "movement" part of permaculture, because most that I know are busy in
another movement that is a lot more on point when it comes to ending
oppression. There's this tendency in permaculture for it to be about
everything and for everybody and the truth is nothing is like that. The
shoe doesn't always fit. Most people of color I talk to in my city don't
have time for it. They belong to other communities of activism that meet
their needs better. So be it. I'm not gonna tell them they really need this
permaculture thing that I find particular value in. Their trying to prevent
the police from killing their neighbor, and being hired by the police
department to train their officers, or running for office, or just pissed
off in the street. I ask how I can help them in their movement not the
other way around. We're dealing with different contexts. It's okay. I'm
moving on. I have work to do.

Jason