permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Farmer Cooperatives - www.entrepreneurstoolkit.org

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Farmer Cooperatives - www.entrepreneurstoolkit.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 11:32:56 -0400

I think we are talking backyard farmers, micro, small, 1/100 acre to 30, in
a Fertile Crescent surrounding urban areas serving local customers, all
represented, all having equal access to market opportunities near them. The
smallest growers are just as valuable as larger ones. Quantity does not
mean quality. A coop is needed for these people.

I can imagine across NC, a network of rural and urban agrarian settlements,
communities, villages and communal enclaves benefitting from such a
marketing coop. Viva the modern peasant and back to the land permaculture
living and working!

A coop doesn;t have to be limited to farm products. It can include crafts
and other hand made products and even services. A site on the Web could
network all the coop staff, growers and all the customers with simplicity,
reliability and great convenience. There are many great possibilities for
using a coop to sustain the livelihoods of many farmer-members.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com