permaculture - [permaculture] Rabbit Hutches and Worm Beds - Multiple Functions, Multiple Elements, Relative Location

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alan Enzo <ecoenzo@gmail.com>
  • To: bloomington_permaculture_guild@lists.riseup.net, kimlarsonnd@gmail.com, arkcrone@gmail.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, NE Permaculture <northeasternpermaculture@lists.riseup.net>, SoutheasternPermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rabbit Hutches and Worm Beds - Multiple Functions, Multiple Elements, Relative Location
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 13:24:33 -0600

Hi Kim, Anne, and the Bloomington Permaculture Guild!

We have seen some good designs for Rabbits over Worm Beds - and this is a
classic Permaculture design utilizing the Principles of Multiple Elements,
Relative Location, and Multiple Functions.

Even Better - Plants Over Rabbits Over Worms! See attached

Here is some info we've collected:

Raising rabbits and worms together works so well because the nutrients in
rabbit droppings and the wasted rabbit food and hay contains the perfect
mix as a food source and as a bedding for the worms. You can also raise
the worms in compost bins or vermicomposting bins using the rabbit manure
as a top dressing, for worm feed, and also as a worm bedding. Keeping worms
under the rabbit cages also allows you to raise worms for fishing bait,
chicken food, vermicomposting and this adds another bartering item you have
on your homestead. This helps you to produce another potential source of
income from your homestead and also improving your sustainability and
another great fertilizer for your gardens.

The best kind of worm to use under rabbit cages is the red worm or *Eisenia
fetida.* They are also known as brandling worms, manure worms, tiger
worms, panfish worms, trout worms and many other names.

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2013/11/17/rabbits-and-redworms-sustainability-above-and-below/

https://texasredworms.com/tag/red-worm-bin/

[image: Img_5768]

http://www.thefarmforlifeproject.com/?p=48195032

I hope those resources are a good help to you!

Please spread the news about our online Permaculture Design Certificate
Course - run by highly-qualified teachers from the Nashville Permaculture
Guild!

Lots of Love,

Alan Enzo, Ph.D., M.B.A.
Permaculture Education Center
PermacultureEducation.com
Nashville Permaculture Guild

And.. here's your Cute Overload picture of the day:

--
Alan Enzo

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

  • [permaculture] Rabbit Hutches and Worm Beds - Multiple Functions, Multiple Elements, Relative Location, Alan Enzo, 02/23/2017