permaculture - Re: [permaculture] CANCER /Toby Hemenway

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] CANCER /Toby Hemenway
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:02:49 -0600

What a tragic loss. Toby was one of the nicest human beings I have ever
met, full of wisdom, knowledge in abundance, information dripping from him,
as well as kindness, he was approachable, interested in life around him,
and so well reasoned, so deeply knowledgable, that any time he showed up on
this list to weigh in on a topic, his voice was, to me, the definitive
answer, ending any debate.

I have so much respect for him.

He once said some of the most affirming and kindest words anyone has ever
said to me, at a time I needed kindness and affirmation. I cannot ever
thank him for that, now, and i wish I had been able to tell him what an
impact that one conversation had on me.

I was privileged to have him teach here two years in a row, 2006-7, and
then he and his wife, Kiel, came to visit for Christmas in 2009. We never
got to work together again, after that. I am so sad he is gone. I just read
that he was ill yesterday, thought of writing him this evening, after some
work, and now he is gone. He was one of those people who could resume a
conversation from a year before as if he had just come back from washing
his hands. I had hoped to sit and drink a few more cups of coffee with him
and resume a few of those conversations, or just to listen to him talk
about whatever he wanted to talk about.

The world is a lesser place in his absence.

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm

San Pedro Columbia, Toledo

PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo