permaculture - [permaculture] [Permaculturist Health] High-fiber diet keeps gut microbes from eating the colon's lining, protects against infection, animal study shows

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Permaculturist Health] High-fiber diet keeps gut microbes from eating the colon's lining, protects against infection, animal study shows
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:57:45 -0500

[I have another list called Permaculturist Health, hosted by ibiblio. New
subscribers welcome:

pchealth

High-fiber diet keeps gut microbes from eating the colon's lining, protects
against infection, animal study showsDate:November 17, 2016Source:University
of Michigan Health SystemSummary:When microbes inside the digestive system
don't get the natural fiber that they rely on for food, they begin to munch
on the natural layer of mucus that lines the gut, eroding it to the point
where dangerous invading bacteria can infect the colon wall, new research
in mice shows.https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161117134626.htm

* * * *

Mahesh S. Desai et al.
*A Dietary Fiber-Deprived Gut Microbiota Degrades the Colonic Mucus Barrier
and Enhances Pathogen Susceptibility*.
*Cell*, November 2016
http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(16)31464-7

Summary

Despite the accepted health benefits of consuming dietary fiber, little is
known about the mechanisms by which fiber deprivation impacts the gut
microbiota and alters disease risk. Using a gnotobiotic mouse model, in
which animals were colonized with a synthetic human gut microbiota composed
of fully sequenced commensal bacteria, we elucidated the functional
interactions between dietary fiber, the gut microbiota, and the colonic
mucus barrier, which serves as a primary defense against enteric pathogens.
We show that during chronic or intermittent dietary fiber deficiency, the
gut microbiota resorts to host-secreted mucus glycoproteins as a nutrient
source, leading to erosion of the colonic mucus barrier. Dietary fiber
deprivation, together with a fiber-deprived, mucus-eroding microbiota,
promotes greater epithelial access and lethal colitis by the mucosal
pathogen, Citrobacter rodentium. Our work reveals intricate pathways
linking diet, the gut microbiome, and intestinal barrier dysfunction, which
could be exploited to improve health using dietary therapeutics.

______________________________
Jonathan Latham, PhD
Executive Director
The Bioscience Resource Project
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA

www.independentsciencenews.org
and
www.bioscienceresource.org

jrla...@bioscienceresource.org
Skype: jonathanlatham2
Tel: 1-607-319-0279

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits
and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic
society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society
constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of
our country.”—Edward Bernays, Propaganda

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [permaculture] [Permaculturist Health] High-fiber diet keeps gut microbes from eating the colon's lining, protects against infection, animal study shows, Lawrence London, 11/21/2016