permaculture - [permaculture] gravel filled tire retaining wall on xist rocky slope + avocado trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: joao pedro goncalves <joaovox@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture-online <permaculture-online@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] gravel filled tire retaining wall on xist rocky slope + avocado trees
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 01:18:46 +0100

600mt altitude
40ºN latitude
warm temperate - Portugal

anyone on this list has had direct experience with gravel filled tire
retaining walls on rocky land?

+ growing avocado trees on such rocky slope ?

we use the sieved soil to fill the terrace and fill the tires with gravel
coming out of the sieve,
all moving by gravity with wheel barrow

our 200 + year old terrace retaining walls are made of stacked dry stone,
most has been used,
we are using what remains above the terrace system:
soil mixed with gravel and extend the system.

avocado trees are flood irrigated from nearby spring, gravity fed using
100mm poliethilene buried pipe system.

the system is underconstruction with some results already:
https://ecotrabalho.joomla.com/images/SAM_2929.JPG

on the new terrace we build fertility with char rich humanure
char is produced daily as we cook over a wood fueled "3 stones fire"
fire wood and mulch is collected from arbutus unedo and pinus pinaster,
erica and broom woodland above the terraces system.

do you know of pests or rodents that danage avocado tree roots ?

with thanks and regards,

--
João Gonçalves

"Ao comprar ou consumir de forma ética também está a intervir na paisagem e
a decidir quem tem trabalho."

"Eating is an agricultural act" - "Comer é um acto agrícola" - Wendell
Berry

"Permacultura (Cultura Permanente) é um sistema ético de design ecológico."

(+351) 96 96 80 009
Chão Sobral - Oliveira do Hospital - Serra do Açor - Portugal
http://ecotrabalho.com/
http://permacultureglobal.com/users/902-joao-goncalves
http://chaosobral.org/index_pt.htm
http://www.youtube.com/joaovox
http://agricultura-familiar-tradicional.blogspot.pt
https://picasaweb.google.com/joaovox
http://picasaweb.google.pt/uniprochaosobral

Para descobrir:
Documentário "Alface" na Aldeia das Amoreiras
http://vimeo.com/58999047
Permacultura na Serra do Açor - Portugal
http://permaculturinginportugal.net/blog/
"Comida que nunca acaba" / Permacultura no Malawi
http://www.neverendingfood.org/
Centro de Ecologia Integral
http://www.integralecology.org
Nyumbani - Kenya
http://www.nyumbani.org/about-us

Sem
vírus. www.avast.com
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

  • [permaculture] gravel filled tire retaining wall on xist rocky slope + avocado trees, joao pedro goncalves, 07/31/2016