permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture Convergence thisSeptember! Save the dates!
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 08:13:20 +0200

> Are you in Ireland, Declan??
Yes, Lawrence, but it's in the plans to move when I recover sufficiently.
I read all of your contributions and look up every link. But someone who wants £50 for his hardback has a hard time convincing me. You can't zoom paper like you can zoom ebooks, and books are exceptionally awkward & tiring with only one hand in play. These, I hope are only temporary limitations.

The one disadvantage of degreed coursework is that you are giving it to the University system. They will muck it up. The electronics I was taught was out of date & theoretical Universities cover answers to potential exam questions only. Bill Mollison came from the University system and kept his brainchild, Permaculture, well away from the universities for what I think are good reasons.

I share your interest in landscape architecture. Every sustainable system needs compost, a greenhouse in colder areas, earthworms and their soil & waste processing, pollinators like bees and others, water management, maybe farm animals & sustainable energy from some source. Fermentation techniques & the use of fungi are fascinating fields. None are the essence of what permaculture is, but all these diverse areas are involved.
--
Declan
Sent from my Android tablet with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 04/06/2016, 18:44 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> A designer (& Permaculturists are designers) needs knowledge of diverse
> technologies. I would welcome them at a gathering, but not allow them (or
> politics) to dominate. Bill Mollison drew on Masanobu Fukuoka, the
> Pattern language, & others. Should not all designers be open to outside
> influence, like the Bonfils Method for cereals or the System of Rice
> Intensification? I'm also surprised more hasn't been done by the
> Permaculture movement to organise seeds worldwide.

Are you in Ireland, Declan?

. and teach and promote remineralization of the soil, where the designs are
to be built and maintained, where food is produced. Nutrient dense food
giver health and longevity. Rock dusts of many kinds are as vital to food
production as manures and composts.

I spent hours last night and this morning rolling repies to this worthwhile
thread through my mind. Here is one for now:
permaculture should be degreed coursework in community colleges and junior
colleges and required electives for architecture, engineering, landscape
architecture, agriculture and offered as a modified course in biology.
Every PDC offering should include a section on career opportunities in
permaculture.
See the previous list for ideas about that. On the local front, trained
permaculture designers and practitioners (some can be both, others can
specialize in one or the other) could offer their services to landscape
designers, planners and contractors and could collaborate independly on
jobs and projects. Much
more can be said about this. Walmart built a nice constructed wetland near
their newest and largest store in my hometown to bioremediate parking lot
and road runoff. It looks great. In other words permaculture should be a
viable career offering financial security. There are almost infinite
possibioities here.
I was a landscape designer and contractor for 16 years and I know what it
takes to make a living in that field. If I had known about permaculture
then I could have upgraded my marketing strategy and been much more
successful.

I am becoming increasingly interested in the integration of landscape
architecture and permaculture. See my Ello page for many interesting
photographs illustrating this.
https://ello.co/lflondon <https://ello.co/permaculture> - pools, landscapes
allotment gardens and more
https://ello.co/permaculture