permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cold composting with aeration channels.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Kruhmin <lindakruhmin@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cold composting with aeration channels.
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 15:11:58 -0500

We use spent mash from a local micro-brewery on our urban farm. We layer
it in our 4'x4'x4' wooden pallet bins with straw, about 1 part mash to 3 or
4 parts oat straw (2" of mash to 6 to 8" of straw [or dried leaves from the
fall]). It gets turned 2 or 3 times within a 3 month period and it is
ready. Using less straw/leaves leaves a pretty smelly mix. We try to add
compost tea periodically.