permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rainwater stream and aquatics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rainwater stream and aquatics
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 16:06:37 -0400

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM, sandra joel campe <
zukunftswerkstatt@riseup.net> wrote:

> looks nice - is the water being used further? the pond at the end of the
> stream looks rather small... do you know anything more about it?

Can't remember where in Ello I found it. I tried a reverse image search but
no luck. It was posted to some Ello user's page
to illustrate what they had done using permaculture methods wisely on their
property............I assume that was it. I thought it was a great
landscape feature.

Attributes:
crenelated stream edge using onsite turf, soil and rocks, rocks providing a
semi aquatic environment suitable for some creatures and plants
calculated water retention to allow throughout to street without overflow
onto adjoining areas in the yard, some of which might be water sensitive
the lower area has a small pool allowing fully aquatic plants to thrive in
this wet weather stream, just like a natural forest or field stream
the animals and plants that survive in this system provide bioremediation
of rain coming off roof and of runoff collecting in stream from adjoining
areas
the stream provides greater water infiltration into soil which provides
irrigation for yard plantings
it is a well executed landscape feature, quite beautiful and imaginative,
trend setting for homes in subdivisions
overflow from the small pool at the bottom of the stream empties, purified,
onto the streetto be carried into the town;s storm sewer network

What more do you see there?

LL

--
Lawrence F. London