permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Tine Weeders

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Tine Weeders
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:02:07 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Tine Weeders
To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Michael Snow <msnow417@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for the responses a few weeks back about Canada thistle.
> I’m looking for information about tine weeders this week. I understand
> different tine weeders have different angles of action and thus used in
> different conditions. We grow mixed vegetables on fifteen acres and
> growing, though we’re interested in smalls scale grain production as well.
> Any pointers or resources to learn more?

What is a tine weeder?
spring tooth cultivator
drag harrow
chisel tooth cultivator
chisel plow
?
rotavator?
The equipment in this gallery worked well to eliminate weeds if used before
they got too high.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106181639516457096425/photos/106181639516457096425/albums/5873426643820858097
Many more photos of this equipment here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/
the green and yellow hiller-bedder came from Roll-A-Cone Mfg. in Tulia,
Texas. I highly recommend this company and their products.
I picked off the shelf components to mount on their custom made toolbars. I
later moved the chisel plows to the front toolbar and added two small
subsoilers to the rear toolbar. This lowered the raised bed height, made
the bed wider and flatter. Perfect for any kind of vegetable cropping. I
used the following system on my Georgeville silt loam soil following
three-bottom plowing the previous winter
and afterward bringing in hundreds of tons of quarry rock powder cow and
chicken manure, bags of rock phosphate, greens and, azomite, high calcium
lime, aragonite,various Fertrell balanced fertilizer mixes, mixed all this
up into two mountains of amendments with a skid loader, spread it is 4'
wide strips where the garden beds were to be then did the following
tillage: pulled a huge single tooth subsoiler then a two shank Yeomans
Keyline plow then an Italian-made spring tooth harrow through the beds,
rototilled with a 50" Howard Rotavator and last, hilled and bedded with the
Roll-A-Cone hiller-bedder. I planned to use the hiller bedder each season
to eliminate weeds before planting crops. One pass should have been
adequate. Tines were drug through the beds but no soil was turned; the
pairs of large discs
formed the sides of the beds while tilthing and hilling soil that had been
compacted by the tractor tires during passes over the beds.
This is a proven, ideal and possibly perfect way to prep and maintain
raised garden beds for market production. The beds were just the right
width for manual planting, tilthing, weeding, watering and harvest for the
average gardener.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com