permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Album on Imgur

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 101 PERMACULTURE DESIGNS, downloadable imgur album - Album on Imgur
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:34:02 -0400

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is important to have a history archived; there seems to be plenty out
> there trying to rewrite it for their own benefit as Toby said.
>
> As for the library...I'll volunteer to start one in Saint Louis. We can
> call it the National Permaculture Library. I'm serious if there actually is
> a need to house old books, texts, articles, references, and the plethora of
> new works too. I can easily stack that into other projects I have planned.
> There will come a day where physical places (and things) matter again.

GOOD!
I have one here but after I am gone it may wind up in a dumpster so I am
hellbent trying to find a new location for it. I really have a lot of
books, hardbound and softbound, pamphlets and useful notes, scanned copies
of articles and ephemera. Public libraries have things they call library
sales....nuff said about that. Most nonprofits but not all have their own
agenda that takes priority and I doubt they would allow public or special
access to any housed materials. Ideally an endowed repository would serve
our needs best over the long haul, one that might have trusted people
stewarding the collections and ensuring the library's continued existence.
Some nonprofit permaculture organizations might be willing to secure grant
funding to get the library started and keep it going or even house it on
premises for perpetuity. Of the many ways this library could serve the
permaculture community's needs there are several prominent ones that come
to mind: 1) lending, mail order or walk in, 2) donations of duplicate
publications to worthy causes, domestic ones and any abroad, like projects
in Central and South America, Africa and Eastern Europe, Spain, Portugal
and Russia and 3) acquisitions, soliciting donations of used, new and rare
materials 4) obtain scanning, OCR, computing equipment to digitize the most
important and fragile works in the library, maybe even a donated microfiche
machine, 4) establish a rare books collection 5) solicit volunteer help to
address all the ongoing tasks and projects the library will create. Money
will need to be raised to pay for shipping of large quantities of materials
to the library. There will be security issues associated with public walk
in visits to the facility. Of course we could all send our books to Darren
and friends in Australia. The Soil and Health Library was established there
and continues to exist online. They have heavy duty scanning and digitizing
equipment. I hope we can keep this discussion going.
LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com