permaculture - [permaculture] No more pause: Warming will be non-stop from now on - environment - 31 August 2014 - New Scientist

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] No more pause: Warming will be non-stop from now on - environment - 31 August 2014 - New Scientist
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:06:03 -0400

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26122-no-more-pause-warming-will-be-nonstop-from-now-on.html#.VANjUGPlrIU

"No more pause: Warming will be non-stop from now on

- 18:00 31 August 2014 by *Michael Slezak*
<http://www.newscientist.com/search?rbauthors=Michael+Slezak>
- For similar stories, visit the *Climate Change*
<http://www.newscientist.com/topic/climate-change> Topic Guide

Enjoy the pause in global warming while it lasts, because it's probably the
last one we will get this century. Once temperatures start rising again, it
looks like they will keep going up without a break for the rest of the
century, unless we cut our greenhouse gas emissions.

The slowdown in global warming
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029460.500-climate-slowdown-the-world-wont-stop-warming.html>
since 1997 seems to be driven by unusually powerful winds over the Pacific
Ocean
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25015-climate-slowdown-just-wait-until-the-wind-changes.html>,
which are burying heat in the water. But even if that happens again, or a
volcanic eruption spews cooling particles into the air
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13117830.600-volcano-clouds-the-picture-on-global-warming.html>,
we are unlikely to see a similar hiatus, according to two independent
studies."

  • [permaculture] No more pause: Warming will be non-stop from now on - environment - 31 August 2014 - New Scientist, Lawrence London, 08/31/2014