permaculture - [permaculture] In the Zone

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darrell E. Frey" <defrey@bioshelter.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] In the Zone
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 01:08:41 -0400

I like this thread. Great discussion!.

For clarity, On Page 139 of Permaculture , Principles and Pathways
Beyond Sustainability Holmgren shows the home as Zone 0. In the
Introduction to Permaculture , Zone 0 is the house and home. Mollison's
Permaculture: A Designer's Manual, (my copy is from 1988),  designates
Zone 0 as the village or house. In the 1985 design course handbook,
Mollison and Andrew Jeeves present no Zone 0. Rather Zone one is the
house and surrounds. So Zone 0 enter into the mix between 1985 and
1988.  (By the way- If you have my copy of Permaculture 1 and
Permaculture 2 let me know, perhaps they mentioned zone 0 , but I do
not recall that being the case)

 Personally I never saw the need for Zone 0 as the house. The area of
most intensive use, Zone one includes the house in my concept. However,
if one is inclined  you can call your house Zone 0. Fine with me.

Now zone 00 is new to me. I have heard people call Zone 0 the inner
landscape, but I never found this helpful in my work, and it has not
been my place to be counsellor or psychologist for my clients.

What is helpful to me is to know that permaculture, and all sustainable
design, is site specific and situation specific. And so the client's
situation is the core of the design work. All the maps and garden
designs are of no use if the client for whom the design work is done
can not implement and manage the plans. For some clients the best
design plan is to make a plan to save energy, use the right household
appliances and cleansers, and join a food co-op and or CSA. For others
it can be more complex.
It is not my place to try to design profound changes in my clients,
nor , perhaps, even my students world view. What is important is to
give them tools to continue a path towards more ecologically sound
lives.

Darrell

Darrell E. Frey
Three Sisters Farm
defrey@bioshelter.com
www.bioshelter.com

Author; Bioshelter Market Garden: A Permaculture Farm. New Society
Publishing, 2011