permaculture - [permaculture] Rotational pasturage, weed biocontrol, manure fertilizer and goats, sheep, llamas, a pig.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rotational pasturage, weed biocontrol, manure fertilizer and goats, sheep, llamas, a pig.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:31:06 -0400

My neighbor and I have made an arrangement for her to fence into paddocks 4
of my 6 acres of land. We have three gated connected fenced areas on my
land and 1 on hers connected to mine by gates.
My land has well developed deep rich soil and quite a weed seed bank plus a
forest of volunteer tree seedlings, mostly ash. This has turned out to be a
marvellous project. I am rid of honeysuckle, many of the trees, poison ivy,
morning glory, bamboo and more thanks to intensive foraging by the
livestock. So far two fields have been completely depleted of plants,
livestock moved off to other fields, regenerated and livestock moved back.
Proof of the value of rotational grazing. The forests of volunteer trees
seem to offer fuel for a rocket stove. They can be coppiced or cut down of
I want to rid the field of them. Somehow I feel that the free fuel may
outweigh loss of that space for gardening; I have plenty
of garden systems in other locations. This is in the paddock and the goats
will eat enough bark to eventually kill the trees.
Anyone have advice on coppice woodlot management, rotational pasturage and
care for La Mancha goats (I call them La Munchas)? The La Manchas are much
heavier feeders than the sheep and other animals. The Vietnamese pot belly
pig comes and goes and is always entertaining as are my 9 cats which
intermingle. The paddocks almost completely encircle my house, buildings
and gardens. They are a significant deterrent to the copperhead snakes that
we have in this region.

Maybe John d'Hondt knows about La Manchas.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [permaculture] Rotational pasturage, weed biocontrol, manure fertilizer and goats, sheep, llamas, a pig., Lawrence London, 07/07/2014