permaculture - [permaculture] Jacque Fresco, The Venus Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Jacque Fresco, The Venus Project
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 23:01:48 -0400

(He knew Einstein, Buckminster Fuller and hopefully the economist Edwards
Deming and Paolo Soleri at Arcosanti)

Jacque Fresco
http://www.thevenusproject.com/about/resume
The Venus Project

*The Venus Project* is an organization that proposes a feasible plan of
action for social change, one that works towards a peaceful and sustainable
global civilization. It outlines an alternative to strive toward where
human rights are no longer paper proclamations but a way of life.

We operate out of a 21.5-acre Research Center located in Venus, Florida.

When one considers the enormity of the challenges facing society today, we
can safely conclude that the time is long overdue for us to re-examine our
values and to reflect upon and evaluate some of the underlying issues and
assumptions we have as a society. This self-analysis calls into question
the very nature of what it means to be human, what it means to be a member
of a "civilization," and what choices we can make today to ensure a
prosperous future for all the world's people.

At present we are left with very few alternatives. The answers of yesterday
are no longer relevant. Either we continue as we have been with our
outmoded social customs and habits of thought, in which case our future
will be threatened, or we can apply a more appropriate set of values that
are relevant to an emergent society.

Experience tells us that human behavior can be modified, either toward
constructive or destructive activity. This is what The Venus Project is all
about - directing our technology and resources toward the positive, for the
maximum benefit of people and planet, and seeking out new ways of thinking
and living that emphasize and celebrate the vast potential of the human
spirit. We have the tools at hand to design and build a future that is
worthy of the human potential. The Venus Project presents a bold, new
direction for humanity that entails nothing less than the total redesign of
our culture. What follows is not an attempt to predict what will be done,
only what could be done. The responsibility for our future is in our hands,
and depends on the decisions that we make today. The greatest resource that
is available today is our own ingenuity.

While social reformers and think tanks formulate strategies that treat only
superficial symptoms, without touching the basic social operation, The
Venus Project approaches these problems somewhat differently. We feel we
cannot eliminate these problems within the framework of the present
political and monetary establishment. It would take too many years to
accomplish any significant change. Most likely they would be watered down
and thinned out to such an extent that the changes would be
indistinguishable.

The Venus Project advocates an alternative vision for a sustainable new
world civilization unlike any social system that has gone before. Although
this description is highly condensed, it is based upon years of study and
experimental research by many, many people from many scientific disciplines.

We propose a fresh, holistic approach - one that is dedicated to human and
environmental concerns. It is an attainable vision of a bright and better
future, one that is appropriate to the times in which we live, and both
practical and feasible for a positive future for all the world's people.

The Venus Project calls for a straightforward approach to the redesign of a
culture, in which the age-old inadequacies of war, poverty, hunger, debt,
environmental degradation and unnecessary human suffering are viewed not
only as avoidable, but totally unacceptable.

One of the basic premises of The Venus Project is that we work towards
having all of the Earth's resources as the common heritage of all the
world's people. Anything less will simply result in a continuation of the
same catalog of problems inherent in the present system.

Throughout history, change has been slow. Successive groups of incompetent
leaders have replaced those that preceded them, but the underlying social
and economic problems remain because the basic value systems have gone
unaltered. The problems we are faced with today cannot be solved
politically or financially because they are highly technical in nature.
There may not even be enough money available to pay for the required
changes, but there are more than enough resources. This is why The Venus
Project advocates the transition from a monetary-based society to the
eventual realization of a resource-based global economy.

We realize to make the transition from our present culture, which is
politically incompetent, scarcity-oriented and obsolete, to this new, more
humane society will require a quantum leap in both thought and action.

Mr. Fresco is available for lectures. For more information, please fax,
call or write to:
Mr. Jacque Fresco
21 Valley Lane
Venus, Florida 33960 Ph: 863-465-0321
www.thevenusproject.com

Google search results for images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jacques+Fresco+Venus&client=firefox-a&hs=oj8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=f_aDU4eNKZSxyATjqYLoCg&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=889

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco

*Jacque Fresco* (born March 13, 1916), is an American
futurist<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurologist>and self-described
social
engineer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28political_science%29>.
Fresco is self-taught <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodidacticism> and
has worked in a variety of positions related to industrial
design<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design>and the aircraft
industry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_industry>.

Fresco writes and lectures his views on sustainable
cities<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_cities>,
energy efficiency <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient_energy_use>,
natural-resource management,
cybernetic<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetic>technology,
automation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automation>, and the role of
science in society. Fresco is the director of The Venus
Project<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project>
.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco#cite_note-The_Venus_Project_Inc.-1>Fresco
advocates global implementation of a socioeconomic system which he
refers to as a "resource-based
economy."[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco#cite_note-2>
[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco#cite_note-3>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project

*The Venus Project* organization advocates what founder Jacque
Fresco<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco>calls a
*resource-based
economy*. The projected plan is to combine Fresco's versions of sustainable
development <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_development>, energy
efficiency <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient_energy_use>, natural
resource management<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_resource_management>,
and advanced automation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automation> in a
global socioeconomic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socioeconomic> system
based on social cooperation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperation>
and scientific
methodology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science>.

Located in Venus, Florida <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus,_Florida>,
the Venus Project is in a 21.5-acre (8.7-hectare)
facility.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project#cite_note-1>

History
Futurist Jacque Fresco
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco>(right) with Roxanne
Meadows

The Venus Project was founded in 1995 as a for-profit corporation by Jacque
Fresco and Roxanne Meadows in Venus,
Florida.[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project#cite_note-2>

A separate, nonprofit
organization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization>started
by Fresco and his business partner Roxanne Meadows is Future By
Design, founded in
2003.[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project#cite_note-3>

Fresco lectures his ideas and gives tours of the Venus Project
location.[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venus_Project#cite_note-New_American-4>

  • [permaculture] Jacque Fresco, The Venus Project, Lawrence London, 05/26/2014