permaculture - [permaculture] Not Everyone Needs to be a Farmer | Permaculture Salad

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Not Everyone Needs to be a Farmer | Permaculture Salad
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:20:24 -0500

http://permaculturesalad.com/notallfarmers/?utm_content=buffer2abb3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Not Everyone Needs to be a Farmer

Larry Santoyo <http://earthflow.com/> was a guest teacher at my
PDC<http://www.denverpdc.com/>.
He wanted us to understand that not everyone needs to be a farmer.
Permaculture is such a huge beast. Because it is mostly taught as a design
system for horticultural systems, students tend to be overwhelmed with how
much they need to learn. I’m sure many struggle with the question of
weather or not they want to learn what is required to be a farmer.

Larry said, “You don’t do Permaculture, you use it in what you do”. It is a
decision making frame work for coming up with solutions. The solutions may
be how to travel to New York City, how to design a small bio-plastics, or
to slowly build a 200 acre food forest.

While listening to the Permaculture
Voices<http://www.permaculturevoices.com/permaculture/permaculture-voices-podcast-015-joel-salatin-talks-to-the-next-generation-of-farmers/>podcast
the other day, Diego was talking to Joel Salatin, and in the
conversation there didn’t appear to be room for people who didn’t want to
be farmers. This is a problem that we should stay aware of. (I’m sure both
Joel and Diego are aware of this already.)

Yes, we need more young farmers.

Yes, the ecological crisis on our spaceship is bad enough that we need all
hands on deck.

No, we don’t need the 99% all producing food.

We need Bio-remediation experts, bio-plastics researchers, greenhouse
designers, educators, philosophers, adventurers, musicians, metal workers,
and shamans (or priests depending on your personal preference).

So, we don’t all need to be farmers,

What we need is to find out what our gift is at this time, and then how we
want to share it with the world. What is your passion, what are you
interested in? Dig in, start slow and small. Integrate, and see what
happens."

  • [permaculture] Not Everyone Needs to be a Farmer | Permaculture Salad, Lawrence London, 02/01/2014