permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Anti-ageing compound set for human trials after turning clock back for mice | Science | theguardian.com

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Anti-ageing compound set for human trials after turning clock back for mice | Science | theguardian.com
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:58:09 -0000

And again, I could not agree more Bob.
For myself, I think I have already reached absolute calm thinking about my death and I am still reasonably fit and without major health problems.
Thing is that I have seen so much destruction in my life and that is only speeding up. The North Pacific ocean is already a dead zone thanks to Fukushima. In ten years time there will be no more lions, elephants, gorillas and rhinos in the wild in Africa. And I can see the destruction going on everywhere in Ireland which was not too bad until a few years ago. Pollinators gone, severe damage from weather events, hundreds of excavators clearing the last hedges.
I am not smart enough to see light at the end of the tunnel.
John

I used to be afraid of dying, when I was younger. Now I'm 62, and while
I am not anxious or looking forward to death, I am no longer afraid of
dying. Death is part of life, the renewal of all things. There are
worse things than dying, one of them is continuing to suffer from a
terrible and painful condition and extreme medical treatment, which
happened to both of my parents. During one of the last visits I had
with my father, who was dying of lung cancer complicated by
incompetent/careless medical treatment, he said, "Bobby Max, would you
get one of my guns and just shoot me?" He then laughed and said
something like "well i know you can't do that but it would sure be a
blessing if you could." He was tired of suffering and knew his time was
near its end, and he was ready. I hope I have his calmness in the face
of that inevitable.

In the meantime, I shudder to think of the impact of actual working life
extension drugs. They will be horrendously expensive, and so likely will
be used to extend the lives of some of the most evil people on the
planet, who will of course continue to commit their evil for even more
years. The nice thing about death is that it is the ultimate
equalizer. Rich or poor, we never get out of life alive.

The permaculture relevance is that death is part of the cycle of natural
succession for humans as well as the rest of the living ecosystem.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net Permaculture your urban lifestyle & protect yourself from the four horsemen of the modern apocalypse: peak oil, climate instability, economic irrationality, and political criminality