permaculture - [permaculture] Recent Reddit /r/OrganicFarming post I made about my garden beds.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Recent Reddit /r/OrganicFarming post I made about my garden beds.
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:22:37 -0400

Recent Reddit /r/OrganicFarming post I made:

I am market gardening now using hand tools, notill or minimum till and
raised beds. This is not how how I started out. I wanted to convert my red
silt loam to brown silt loam 16" deep. Here are details about the process I
followed using a John Deere 3020 70HP, New Holland skid loader, mountains
of quarry rock dusts and local cow manure plus commercial mineral and
nitrogenous natural soil amendments (rock phosphate, azomite, greensand,
etc.); implements: JD Cat#2 subsoiler, JD 3 bottom plow, spring tooth field
cultivator (an old Italian-made 7 shank), Howard Rotavator, Yeomans 3 shank
(26") plow, Roll-A-Cone hiller bedder (2 8' toolbars, 2 26" discs, 4 chisel
plow shanks, 3 small subsoiler shanks. This equipment and the land it
worked can be seen in these galleries; maybe viewable w/o Google login:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106181639516457096425/photos/106181639516457096425/albums/5873426643820858097

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106181639516457096425/photos/106181639516457096425/albums/5873409948529968017

http://www.avantgeared.com/

Tool sourcelist and gardening information:
http://www.avantgeared.com/garden-and-farm-handtool-sourcelist-biointensive-gardening-guideBiointensive
Gardening Guide and Farm & Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

https://plus.google.com/116100117925365792988/posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5706561605935598161

Hand garden tools I use in my work:
https://plus.google.com/b/116100117925365792988/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5706561605935598161

More on tools:
https://plus.google.com/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5701354681744776273
https://plus.google.com/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5701353399151544913
https://plus.google.com/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5701429607268911889

.....and forget rototillers, better to hand dig beds; you'll end up with
more productive garden space this way.

French intensive, biological, double-dug raised beds in systems of gardens
located on grade with controlled drainage and water conservation, on slopes
using terraced raised beds; direct excess water flow to impoundments with
aquatic plants and animals for wildlife habitat.

  • [permaculture] Recent Reddit /r/OrganicFarming post I made about my garden beds., Lawrence London, 10/03/2013