permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ernest Rando <lotusdog@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:23:10 -0500

For any one wanting a really good lesson on ways to critique capitalism
(which culturally is taboo to do in the US) and to learn how to critique
our economic systems of choice as well as a history lesson in our past
economic systems, please check out Richard Wolf's YouTube website:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RichardDWolff/videos

I would start with this 8 hour Class that he gives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGYdZo3mw00

However if you only have an hour and a half, here is his most recent
monthly economic update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6WVLftjwhA

This man is a great lecturer in my opinion and fundamentally he wants us to
critique our current economic system. His lectures changed my heart and my
viewpoints, I hope you are inspired and empowered by them as well.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Neil Bertrando
<neilbertrando@gmail.com>wrote:

> Koreen, I think you're right we want to build an alternative system that
> puts well being of people and regenerative cultivated ecologies on the
> table as priority goals. To accomplish this, I think it is necessary to
> define the components and processes that facilitate this development.
> Rafter's interview/article attempt to frame and provide direction for both
> defining a system that concentrates wealth at the expense of people and
> ecosystems and defining alternatives.
>
> I encourage people to read the comments on this article on Rafter's site as
> well. some great info circulating there
>

> http://liberationecology.org/2013/09/11/confronting-context-permaculture-capitalism/
>

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think there is room for a lot of viewpoints and approaches to the
> > subject in the kind of diverse, multi faceted system that will bring
> about
> > lasting change.
> >
> > That said, my personal interest lies in the direction defining, tweaking
> > and building a "better model" a la Buckminster Fuller. I think that Mark
> > Anielski who wrote "The Economics of Happiness" has some great concepts
> > that can be built on. His Genuine Wealth Indicator is a meaningful
> measure
> > of where we are at as a culture or community in creating quality of life
> > and a regenerative approach to the natural world. I've found that a lot
> of
> > people resonate with the concept of having the economy serve them,
> instead
> > of them being enslaved by the economy. Mark does a good job (for me at
> > least) of bringing that subject back to human scale.
> >
> > Koreen Brennan
> >
> > www.growpermaculture.com
> > www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
> > www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition
> >

> > ________________________________

Ernest Rando <https://plus.google.com/117886846121315991773>

2013 Internship in Permaculture &
Community<http://cscstelle.org/2012-internships/2013-internship-in-permaculture-community/>
Center for Sustainable Community's Permaculture
Design<http://midwestpermaculture.com/2012/08/permaculture-design-for-csc-in-stelle-il/>
The YouTube Video Series "A Case for
Permaculture<http://youtu.be/NSB8yxgCmU0>"
by Bill Wilson