permaculture - Re: [permaculture] â-¶ VIORICA TOMOIAGA - Vai saracu Vasalie - YouTube + Traditional Scything!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] â-¶ VIORICA TOMOIAGA - Vai saracu Vasalie - YouTube + Traditional Scything!
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:32:14 +0100

A few things that struck me in the video but most of all that the man scything uses his arms and not his back. I was thought to scythe by torsing the complete upper body and keeping the arms fairly stiff. And that works fairly well for me allowing me to cut about an acre of heavy vegetation a day on flat land. These days I spend more time scything particular weeds like thistles and bracken on steep land dotted with irregularities of buried stones and I do use the arms more than the back.
Using the back puts more power into the swing and you could shatter the blade if you hit an unseen rock.
Anybody else who has experience with scything and can comment?
John

VIORICA TOMOIAGA - Vai saracu Vasalie - YouTube + Traditional Scything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V20_y1-uf0k