permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Symbiosome-like intracellular colonization of cereals and other crop plants by nitrogen-fixing bacteria for reduced inputs of synthetic nitrogen fertilizers - Springer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Symbiosome-like intracellular colonization of cereals and other crop plants by nitrogen-fixing bacteria for reduced inputs of synthetic nitrogen fertilizers - Springer
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:54:10 -0700

On Jul 31, 2013, at 10:07 PM, Lawrence London
quoted http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03187127:

> It has been forecast that the challenge of meeting increased food demand
> and protecting environmental quality will be won or lost in maize, rice and
> wheat cropping systems

I would rather that we didn't boost food production, especially of high-carb,
low nutrient crops like grains. Increases in food production drives increased
population, and biting that particular bullet at 7 billion is better for a
lot of reasons than waiting till 9 or 11 billion.

In a population-related note, I've just heard from mutual friends that Albert
Bartlett, the Colorado State professor who gave the brilliant lecture,
"Arithmetic, Population, and Energy,"
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy.html
which shows why if we don't bring down population, nature will do it for us,
has had a recurrence of lymphoma and does not expect to live more than a few
weeks. He's had a long and full life, and I'm grateful to him for his
inspiring work. He's getting a flood of gratitude-filled notes from his many
admirers.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com