permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BBC News - GM salmon can breed with wild fish andpass on genes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BBC News - GM salmon can breed with wild fish andpass on genes
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 01:02:36 +0100

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM, John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net> wrote:

The crux of the matter is that GM salmon can not survive in the wild
because
they depend on unlimited food supplies at all times. They would starve in
the wild.
Experiments have been done with other GM fish in Japan I think about ten
years ago. When they are interbred with normal fish and then followed from
generation to generation it leads to extinction of the lot in 6-7
generations. When this happens with salmon, it is only matter of time, the
only salmon left will be farmed salmon and the price will go through the
roof. Which is maybe the long term idea behind it.
John

Maybe by then they can be certified organic too, Organic GMO Trojan Horse
faux-Salmon aquatic food-like stuff.
Trojan Horse Economics. That appears to be the name of the game now, Exit
bees, most of Nature and diversity of species, enter artificial
food-like-stuff production.
Movie industry makes cinema "Gaia, Nature Fantasy of a Bygone Era". .

Form community, form networks, stabilize and preserve what is valuable to
us.

The game is played and ruled by about a hundred names world wide. What we need to counter that is a bit more than a local community although that is a good start. Eventually they will come for that too if we do nothing else.
John

subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info|make a donation toward list maintenance: