permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drylands water capture question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drylands water capture question
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:28:31 -0400

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Glenn Gall <glenngall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Koreen --
>
> "We're thinking of ways we can mimic what keyline does (we don't have
> funding for a plow)..."
>
> I'm getting 22" shanks at $450 each. I already have a frame, and will try
> to cobble acoulters and a roller. Not cheap, but one shank used
> strategically can still help harvesting the rains.

Get the 26" shanks if you have the tractor to pull them; three on a 6 or 8
foot toolbar;
this is the one I used to own:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/TractorEquipment

You do not need coulters or rollers, forget all that and just get Yeomans
system for improving the tilth of your soil,
increase distribute water infiltration. It is an invaluable tool for
farming and permaculture, there is nothing like it or
can come anywhere close in effectiveness.

> I believe Mark Shepard uses something like this, with reportedly
> satisfactory results.
>
> http://www.ironsearch.com/Subsoiler/Misc/1-SHANK/434708/Detail.aspx?SK=DTSS------PA
> .
> Under $350. Maybe you can find one closer?

Market Farm Implement in Friedans Pennsylvania is the definitive dealer for
all things Yeoman plow.
http://www.marketfarm.com/