permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drylands water capture question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Peter Suter" <peter.suter@activ8.net.au>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drylands water capture question
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:38:35 +1000

Hi Koreen,
I'm in an area that is on its way to becoming a desert. North Central
Victoria, Australia. I've been experimenting with some of the dryland
techniques for about five years.

I've used a technique similar to your deep water pipe - agricultural pipe
under a small swale with a small dam at one end. It's all based on the
levels - The swale and pipe fills the dam; the dam fills the pipe; ground
runoff fills the dam. In the swale mound are mostly drought tolerant native
Acacia. They are growing so well that I don't have any hesitation in
attributing much to this technique.

I've also tried the vertical pipe in the post hole idea. Everything died.
I've tried the net-and-pan technique. It works well if the trees get big
before heavy rain. If the rain comes before the trees are up then many in
heavy clay areas drown.

Since you've identified a dry layer down to 6 inches, I'd love to see the
results from planting larger seedlings 6 inches lower than normal. i.e.
using that top 6 inches of soil as mulch.

Best Regards
Peter Suter