permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Farm-Scale Permaculture, Free Articles, Save 25% on Chicken & Pig Books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Farm-Scale Permaculture, Free Articles, Save 25% on Chicken & Pig Books
  • Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:11:25 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Farm-Scale Permaculture, Free Articles, Save 25% on Chicken &
Pig Books
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:44:19 -0400
From: Acres U.S.A. <info@acresusa.com>

Restoration Agriculture from Acres U.S.A.

To see this email with images, view it on the web here
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-f996f6929448bea84f0d277cd2b9e9ee-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>.

Acres U.S.A. Eco-Farming Updates

/In this email . . ./
/Restoration Agriculture/ — Acres U.S.A. Conference — Free Preview
Articles from /Acres U.S.A./ — Pig 'n' Chicken Book Sale — More!

/Mark Your Calendar . . ./
Acres U.S.A. 2013 Conference
Dec. 12-14, Springfield, Illinois

Each year for the past four decades the Acres U.S.A. Conference has been
a premier gathering of enlightened ecological farmers, consultants and
scientists from around the world. This is the conference many, many
regional conferences have been modeled after.

Each speaker is brilliant. The trade show gathers the top 100 suppliers
of innovative ecological inputs equipping you with everything you need
to farm without offending toxic technology. And the networking
opportunity, the ability to meet and compare notes with successful
eco-farmers from the area and around the world, is without compare.

Forty years ago this was just about the only event to connect and inform
ecological farmers. Now there are hundreds. There are bigger events, but
time and again we are told that there's just "something" about the Acres
U.S.A. Conference that is different, special, life-changing. Experience
it for yourself. Find out why people travel from around the world to attend.

For now simply mark your calendar. Soon we'll be posting details on the
conference and pre-conference intensives online in the Events section of
www.acresusa.com
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-8d8de23451da2d9b6a446dac3ee6dffd-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
and in the pages of /Acres U.S.A./ magazine. Not a subscriber? Drop us a
note at info@acresusa.com <mailto:info@acresusa.com> and we'll be sure
to send you the conference brochure when it's ready this summer.

/Praise for Restoration Agriculture /

/Mark Shepard’s new book on farm-scale permaculture gathering acclaim
far and wide/

Restoration Agriculture, a new book from Acres USA

Around the globe most people get their calories from “annual”
agriculture — plants that grow fast for one season, produce lots of
seeds, then die. /Restoration Agriculture/ explains how we can have all
of the benefits of natural, perennial ecosystems and create agricultural
systems that imitate nature in form and function while still providing
for our food, building, fuel and many other needs — in your own
backyard, farm or ranch. This book, based on real-world practices,
presents an alternative to the agriculture system of eradication and
offers exciting hope for our future. Not exactly a how-to book, but
carries enough real-world examples to stir the imagination of any farmer
as to how and why to diversify into perennial production.

/Softcover, 344 pages. Includes full-color photo section. //Item #7170 —
$30.00/

Order
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-0b541d30a065293ec23b63533c90d834-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
the book

*Reviews*

/“We can all benefit from the fact that Shepard and his family have
established New Forest Farm, and Shepard is talking his walk”/ — Jim
Riddle, /The Organic Cultivator/

/“I have read all of Sepp Holzer's books, much of Bill Mollison's, Toby
Hemenway, and P.A Yoeman. I would put this book solidly on the same
shelf as these other informative authors. . . . It is an enjoyable,
funny book. I laughed out loud more than once.”/ — Tom Davis,
www.permies.com
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-4e19db72798ea28a38a06868a3fa9136-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

/“Based on over 15 years of real-world experience building profitable
perennial agricultural systems, /Restoration Agriculture/explains how we
can have all the benefits of natural, perennial ecosystems and create
agricultural systems that imitate nature in form and function while
feeding the world. Mark's groundbreaking book takes permaculture systems
to the next level and offers exciting hope for the future.”/
Permaculture Research Institute
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-4503e911216b634b9dc05cd5e6cdcf56-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

*Advance Praise for Restoration Agriculture*

/“A fascinating vision for recasting our relationship to nature and the
land.”/ — Anna Lappé, activist & author

/“This book . . . will be invaluable and is destined to be a
permaculture classic.”/ — Geoff Lawton, managing director, Permaculture
Research Institute of Australia

/“Restoration Agriculture describes the reasons why permanent
agriculture is needed, the ecological systems behind farm-scale
permaculture, and the step-by-step of how to get there.”/ — Faye Jones,
executive director, Midwest Organic and Sustainable Eduction Service (MOSES)

*About the Author*

/“
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-10c4ecff17e1d1730eee07262a4aa66f-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>/The
giving tree: Agroforests can heal food systems and fight climate
change/”/
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-6e91635cd7807071b9ae397d10f3d7a0-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
— /Grist/

/“
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-10c4ecff17e1d1730eee07262a4aa66f-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>/Mimicking
Mother Nature: Mark Shepard Takes Permaculture to a New Dimension with
Restoration Agriculture/”/
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-fce81c2c4bec11716c5acd99e4980eb5-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
(Interview) — /Acres U.S.A./

/“
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-e1eec9362072a9b29b6bd6e407033011-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>/Chestnuts
Worthy of Song”
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-d9a8e47e95a44be92aa2f7b9180c3b0a-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
/— The New York Times/

Order
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-0b541d30a065293ec23b63533c90d834-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
the book

/Acres U.S.A./ — This Issue

Acres USA -- the Voice of Eco-Agriculture -- April IssueThe April 2013
issue of /Acres U.S.A./ features the following amazing in-depth feature
stories, plus all our regular columns. Not a subscriber yet? Here's a
link to read some of this issue for free (valid this month). April 2013
— /Acres U.S.A./
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-43088b70ecdd206fe1c6acb7a28a4c26-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

*Making It Work*
Farm Hack initiative helps new farmers navigate challenges specific to
small, sustainable farms and beginning farmers.

*The Need for Total Testing*
What most farmers may not realize is that most soil tests only reveal
what is soluble in the soil — find out how to get the whole picture.

*Gracious Goodness from Grass*
Tieton Farm & Creamery is a tasty and important part of the rebirth of
agricultural community Tieton, Washington.

*Equal Share*
The role of women in agriculture continues to grow as more women take
the helm of farms and ranches across the country.

*Historic Crosby Mint Farm Going Strong*
Find out how the oldest continuously operating mint farm has survived
and flourished during years of change and strife.

*Antibiotics in Fruit Production*
The use of antibiotics in fruit production illustrates the problems
encountered in maintaining organic integrity as organic production
expands to meet increasing demand.

*Battling Varroa Mites*
Longtime beekeeper asserts that natural forces provide protection for
bees against the deadly varroa mite.

*Interview — Weighing in on Wheat*
Doctor and author of /Wheat Belly/, William Davis, shares insight into
modern wheat
woes from a human health perspective.

Learn how to subscribe to Acres USA
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-ba35d052abb2d22bcb3337ff72978287-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

/Pigs, Chickens & Savings!/

/Save 25% on these great, in-depth, practical guidebooks... plus free
shipping!*/

Talking Chicken by Kelly Klober

<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-afd3ede6b5d14f33221d3fa3c1a1c3ce-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>Talking
Chicken

/A resurgence of interest in heritage poultry breeds has invigorated
poultry raising on family farms and backyards across the country. These
are the birds that can and should be producing for today’s marketplace —
for consumers that have come to value locally bred and grown,
historically significant agricultural food. This book offers valuable
insight into rare, heritage and heirloom breed selection, chick raising,
breeding and marketing so you can start your own fully sustainable
heritage chicken flock and raise eggs or meat for your family or small
farm business.
Softcover, 395 pages. Item #7067 — $28.00 *Special, $21.00* (save $7.00!)/

/more information or to order
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-d7aa1eb7397a5af45f84ccb8c14bd20b-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>/

Dirt Hog by Kelly Klober

<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-3268ed05844d6856b0da218ec271f070-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>Dirt
Hog

/In today's market, range-rearing of swine provides the family farm with
a key venture for diversification and cash flow — perhaps no other large
animal enterprise offers as fast a turnaround on investment.
Range-produced pork is now sought out by the informed consumer concerned
with the issues of production and willing to pay a premium to get it.
This comprehensive manual on raising hogs the natural way includes
sections on housing and fencing, selection and breeding, herd
maintenance, feeds and feeding, marketing and more.
Softcover, 320 pages. Item #6844 — $25.00 *Special, $18.75* (save $6.25!)/

/more information or to order
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-80d79b8e4508d66505fbf082e068b3f6-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>/

_** FREE U.S. SHIPPING*_ and 25% off until April 30, 2013 on these
books. Enter promo code CHICKPIG13 when checking out or mention this
special when ordering.

*/Acres U.S.A., promoting eco-farming for 40 years
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-2e109035dd6e5b6d4ddb37caad7e4aba-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>About
Acres U.S.A.:/* Acres U.S.A. is the publisher for ecological
agriculture, with books on natural farming, sustainable agriculture,
eco-philosophy, organic growing and healthy living topics. If you want
to stay up to date on the latest news and techniques of eco-farming,
you'll love our monthly magazine on organic/sustainable farming, now in
its 43rd year. Request a free sample copy or subscribe at
www.acresusa.com (international sample magazine request $5 to cover
postage), 1-800-355-5313.

Subscribe Now
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-ba35d052abb2d22bcb3337ff72978287-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

*Join the conversation! *

Follow Acres U.S.A. on Twitter
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-2df617f36c9de4b719337aedbc0fd38b-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
and Facebook
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-17c1d96f57584fd4f08d46b89938d86a-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

Become a fan of Acres U.S.A. on Facebook and Twitter and get access to
specials and discounts on Acres U.S.A. book titles, up-to-the-minute
Acres U.S.A. conference announcements, and other “fans only” information.

Acres USA Twitter
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-1ba42976b8e04f832be3c9b92aa50256-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>
Acres USA Facebook
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-13fc52a22fb1cbb5d069e48cb3d1ba14-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

/Add the email address _info@acresusa.com_ to your address book so email
filters won't delete email specials such as this (we won't share your
email address and you can unsubscribe at any time)./

Acres U.S.A.

P.O. Box 301209
Austin, Texas 78703
Orders 1-800-355-5313

512-892-4400

fax 512-892-4448

info@acresusa.com <mailto:info@acresusa.com>
www.acresusa.com
<https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1365194516-0e9cf52dce5ef5df94b77604fe821fa6-59715e6?pa=398258586506720905>

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Farm-Scale Permaculture, Free Articles, Save 25% on Chicken & Pig Books, venaurafarm, 04/05/2013