permaculture - Re: [permaculture] TESTS & EQUIPMENT required for a functional SUSTAINABLE AG LAB?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] TESTS & EQUIPMENT required for a functional SUSTAINABLE AG LAB?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:43:47 -0600

On 03/05/2013 12:51 AM, loren luyendyk wrote:
Douglas,

Are you familiar with the work of your fellow Méxicano Eugenio Gras and Mas
Humus (http://www.mashumus.com/)?

No, but he was educated here in Guadalajara and build ecological houses here before focusing his attention on agriculture, professionally. If I ask around I may be able to locate him, but his shift in focus (along with his use of chromatography), apparently comes the other two members of COAS (Consejeros en Agricultura Sostenible y Permacultura), Jairo Restrepo and Sebastiao Piñedo, who wrote the book on chromatography.
Consejeros en Agricultura Sostenible Y Permacultura
http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm <http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm?pfichas=4799&UTM=copypaste>
Consejeros en Agricultura Sostenible Y Permacultura
http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm <http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm?pfichas=4799&UTM=copypaste>
Consejeros en Agricultura Sostenible Y Permacultura
http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm <http://www.emagister.com.mx/consejeros_agricultura_sostenible_permacultura-centrodetalles-24657.htm?pfichas=4799&UTM=copypaste>

I have not experienced their work personally but they have been doing
chromatography measurements of the health of soils and produce with pretty
simple equipment, from what I hear. MasHumus is also promoting the use and
production of biofertilizers which are possibly the only real solution to
medium-large scale food
production nutrient needs- beyond composting.

I think it is pretty important if we are considering creating standards and
tests for organic and sustainable agriculture,

I agree. We also hope to be able to demonstrate exactly how soil organisms perform the labors they perform, as well as the fact that chemical agriculture disrupts those abilities, thereby locking unsuspecting farmers into a permanent state of dependency that wouldn't be necessary if soil microorganisms (who work for free) were allowed to become established and do their thing.

THATS why we need to know which substances they produce, the activity of each substance and the environmental conditions required for their production. Because while you, I and others here know that the two types of agriculture are incompatible, most folks haven't experienced the fundamental difference and that's why it all has to be spelled out, in order to close the door permanently on what constitutes a big mistake. The same thing happened with DDT and Tobacco. The ghouls hung in there as long as they could.

our equipment and methods (ideally) should be easily reproducible and accessible-
"campesino" style- available to common farmers beyond the "first" world of
scanning electron microscopes and even sterile petri dishes, autoclaves, and incubators.

That is exactly right. As things stand, most folks are left out in the cold, on the outside, looking in.

With simple equipment and measurements you can increase the edge and get more
data because the farmers themselves are able to do the testing. You may not
be able to quantify statistically the concentration of fungal hyphae per unit
area etc, but there can be very real qualitative measurements that still
provide good data- which at the end of the day is the important part becuase
we are trying to make a case for why we should support beyond
organic/permaculture style food production.

Yes, this is what it's all about. That is the real nature of the world we live in.

If you are talking about measuring metabolic pathways another tool/metric
that I think is very useful is the refractometer (hand held) to measure Brix.
Brix levels can indicate metabolic shifts in plant growth (at a certain
point the metabolic pathway changes and different chemicals/compositions are
produced in the plant). This can indicate when food become nutritionally
dense (brix 12+). See the work of the Weston A. Price Foundation regarding
nutrient density and brix.

Being unfamiliar with the Weston A. Price Foundation I googled on them and found some very mixed opinions, like:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/debunking-diet-myths-weston-a-price-foundation-stupid-traditions.html <http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/debunking-diet-myths-weston-a-price-foundation-stupid-traditions.htmlyths-weston-a-price-foundation-stupid-traditions.html>

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/07/the-truth-about-the-weston-price-foundation.html

From Wikipedia:
"The foundation has been criticized by Joel Fuhrman <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Fuhrman> and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_Drug_Administration> (FDA) for "purveying misleading information" and "failing to update their recommendations in light of contradictory evidence".^[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_A._Price_Foundation#cite_note-WSJ-2> ^[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_A._Price_Foundation#cite_note-Fuhrman-3>"

and

" More than 50 years after Weston Price's death, food activists Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig founded the Weston A. Price Foundation in their words to "disseminate the research of nutrition pioneer Dr. Weston Price....Dr. Price's research demonstrated that humans achieve perfect physical form and perfect health generation after generation only when they consume nutrient-dense whole foods and the vital fat-soluble activators found exclusively in animal fats.""

and lastly,

http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/dietary-guidelines

Of the 20 items listed I am strongly opposed th half of the first 10 and
consider the second 10 irrelevant.

So I'm not subscribing to that one, but thanks anyway.

Annabelle Ford from UC Santa Barbara has studied the composition/biology of
mayan food forests which is possibly the most roots example of the contrast
between monocultural managed vs. polycultural wild food systems. I am not
sure how into the meatbolic pathways of the plants she got, more looking at
the forest as a natural component of their culture, and the fallacy that the
Mayans lived in a cleared space free of trees in the scorching central
american sun... much like the tourists see at the better known archaeological
sites that were cleared of the forest- which actually contained all the food
and medicine that the Mayans deliberately cultivated.

That one I can go with, theoretically. But I couldn't find anything on her or her work on the ucsb.edu website.

In any case, I consider most natural trees to be better company than most people (and they do a lot less harm - the planet would be much better off with a lot more trees and far fewer humans) and as stated previously, the fruit of naturally occurring (albeit sometimes selected) fruit trees constitutes the principle source of my nutritional needs),

Douglas

Coordinador
*A**li**a**n**za****p**a**r**a la **Responsabilidad****E**c**o**l**ó**g**i**c**o****y **S**o**cial****en****e**l****Desa**rr**o**llo***(ARESD)

DirectorGeneral
*C**e**nt**r**o****p**a**r**a el****Desa**rr**o**l**l**o****C**o**mu**n**i**t**a**r**io****y****R**u**r**al***(CeDeCoR,A.C.)

CoordinadorNacional deProducción Orgánica
*C**o**n**f**e**d**e**r**ac**i**ó**n****N**a**ci**o**n**al****d**e **Pr**op**i**e**t**a**r**i**o**s R**u**r**al**e**s***(CNPR)

Directorde ProyectosEspeciales
*C**on**s**e**jo****Su**p**r**e**m**o****N**aci**o**n**al****I**nd**í**g**e**n**a***(CSNI)

Líderdel*G**ru**p**o****d**e **T**r**a**b**a**j**o****s**o**b**r**e **P**i**ñ**a O**r**g**á**n**ica***(OPWG)
Sociedad Internacional de CienciasHortícolas(ISHS)

Tels.:1 216 916 2777 (VoIP) / (33)3617 52 42 /(33)34524233(cel)

A.P.3-33Guadalajara,Jalisco44381/ARESD<_a__r__e__sdmx__@_ <mailto:cedecor@gmx.net>_g_ <mailto:cedecor@gmx.net>_m_ <mailto:cedecor@gmx.net>_x_._c__o__m_>

Loren Luyendyk
805-452-8249
Permaculture Design and Education