permaculture - Re: [permaculture] online pc courses and digital curriculum/lesson plans/models

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] online pc courses and digital curriculum/lesson plans/models
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:57:53 -0500

When I mentioned I was excited about a well-developed digital permaculture
curriculum, I meant curriculum materials--not a taught course--that would
be shared without having to pay a course fee. My assumption was that they
would make the syllabus and materials (or at least the bulk of them) freely
available so that folks could self-study and permaculture teachers could
have model course material to help guide their lessons. That is what I
assumed about this fundraising project, however after reading your comments
and reviewing the video, I realize I may have been wrong and it is more
likely that they are just developing a course that they will later market.

As a beginner teacher myself, I am curious to find model curricula such as
I describe above--syllabus, reading list, lesson plans, etc. If anyone is
willing to share these types of materials, please be in touch. I also
fully respect the fact that some folks put work into these materials and
perhaps make a livelihood from them and may not want to share them freely.

I am also interested in learning what models people use for teaching
workshops and courses. Personally, in the limited informal lessons I have
given, I have used the Designer's Manual/Introduction to Permaculture and
the material at David Holmgren's website (http://permacultureprinciples.com)
as models for lessons. I've looked for inspiration at my PDC playbook, but
have not found it very useful as it is not well organized. Will Hooker's
online NCSU course is great and I'm sure there's a lot to pull from there
as well.

As for the Open Permaculture project fundraiser, they only just met their
fundraising goal a few months ago. For a project of that magnitude, I
would expect it to take a year at minimum, likely more.

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, South Carolina

  • Re: [permaculture] online pc courses and digital curriculum/lesson plans/models, Chris Carnevale, 02/12/2013