permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 07:29:22 -0800

On Dec 30, 2012, at 11:37 PM, Robert Waldrop wrote:

> There is a surplus in this world as it exists now, in our human ecologies,
> . . . And it's being reinvested, but most of it isn't invested in any ways
> any of us would agree with. So maybe rather than reinvest, we ought to
> decentralize the surplus.

Very good point, Robert. That's why soundbites are dangerous, and why I have
trouble with "return of surplus to support care of earth and people" being
reduced to simply "reinvest surplus" or any other two-word bite designed to
match Earthcare and Peoplecare. "Fairshare" also comes close, but I'd like
people to be given the full version of all the ethics before they get the
soundbites. I spend an hour or more introducing the 3 ethics in PDCs, and
keep returning to them in many contexts.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com