permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:16:03 -0600

Scott,

Though I have heard you say this on at least three occasions, it is now
sinking in where it needs to. Fair Share never really felt like much to me,
but I always liked Reinvest Surplus (or excess). How you are framing the
ethics is that they are a design challenge, which I think makes a lot more
sense than anything else. I similarly view the principles as design
challenges, but quite honestly have always struggled with the ethics. They
feel a little precept-y. A little too recital-like as you suggest. I see
some folks using the principles in the same way.

>From now on I will be using and teaching the ethics from the same design
challenge perspective as I teach and use the principles. If permaculture is
about design, what more could the ethics and principles be about? I think
when they get taken out of the context of design, the waters get muddy and
permaculture verges on becoming ritualistic or religious somehow. I prefer
to keep permaculture in the design application.

Thank you continuing to hammer this one home!
--
Jason Gerhardt
Designer and Educator