permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 09:50:27 -0600

On 12/25/2012 5:31 AM, Frances and David wrote:
This brings back great memories of being at the San Isidro organic farmer's
market (within the larger market... at the back) and Luis (farmer) pointing
to the black avocado and saying 'mur' - ripe.
Funny how that is a negative point !?

To me (and I assume you), it's not. In fact, it let's us know when to pick it. But to the UC System (focused on facilitating the California Avocado Industry's ease to exploit the fruit and bring it to market), it means that they can't necessarily cut it whenever they want to, which is based on current avocado market prices (on the one hand) and compliance with minimum oil content standards (a legal requirement), on the other. They are NOT concerned about whether the avocado tree fulfills it's it's own destiny, the importance of respecting the integrity of each individual organism, or the meaning and significance of perfection in relation to both our lives, the life of the tree, the destiny of it's fruit, and what we do with it after eating (and being inspired by) it.

I wonder how many here share this perception. (I'll bet you do, Frances).

I think Luis must have said MUY (not mur) ripe (or maduro), which means VERY ripe, which carries no negative connotations (unless you want to hang on to it for a while, instead of eating it). Another important point is whether the avocado turned black before or after being harvested.

Incidentally, here in Mexico (the world's avocado capital, where Uroapan grower's obtain twice the production per hectar as Fallbrook's), a black (and still solid) Hass is a desirable factor because people here understand that this is what Avocado's DO. (Oh what tangled webs we weave when we endeavor to deceive).

Not only that, the Tarascan woman that brings me seedling avocados from the indigenous communities near hers, changes me twice what the Hass fruit she now brings for other people fetch (I get first crack at the seedling fruit), because it's seedling and therefore special (meaning real rather than simulated or fake - fruit from grafted trees look like one thing but is really something quite different - it was produced by a plant without it's own roots).

Interesting, huh. (The difference perceptions understood by different cultures). Be careful, or you'll wind up in Mexico (or some other country where folks have not yet forgotten where reality come from - and remember - homo sapiens are better at destroying environments and cultures that building on the biological, evolutionary patrimony we still have at our disposal and establishing a fruitful, diversified, life giving world. After all Man, is incapable of producing an avocado - only the tree has evolved that capacity. So Man's ideal role is studying, understanding and working with rather than against them, which means recognizing them as individual organisms, much like -except better- than ourselves. After all, women and slaves now have rights); or at least growning your own from seed -if Monsanto let's you- wherever you can. :-)

Merry Xmas, Frances, David and All

DH

IOW, it may be better to start afresh. The university used a 50 point
criterion to evaluate their original individual trees and as I recall,
the Hass failed to meet their ideal in only one of those points (it
turns black when fully ripe), but alternate bearing would constitute a
second trait that was less than ideal.