permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion - cont.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion - cont.
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:40:26 -0800

Ben, thanks for this. Excellent. It also offers an answer to Georg's question
about why the poor have more kids than the rich, and what a potential
solution could be.

A mix of top-down and grassroots can be effective. When I was in Indonesia in
the 1980s, they had instituted a very much top-down (from Sukarno and
Suharto) education program around birth control and population. I ran into
countless men and women who said "I come from a big family, and now I see how
harmful that is, and we are only having 2 children." But it was run by
village leaders and healers, and local teachers, and got local buy-in.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com