permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:42:39 -0500

On 11/22/2012 10:24 PM, paul wheaton wrote:
Is there a thread or forum on Sepp's ideas about food production at
Permies?

Probably about 40 threads.

I will check them out. You usually have a large community of doers and knowledgeable folks who write well and upload great pix of their projects.

Needless to say we need more of that, here in this list and at Permies,
matters not where, just needs to be done.

Will anyone take us seriously when we talk about feeding over 20 billion people without the need for manure from feedlots or factory livestock operations, chemical fertilizers, pesticides or draining underground water aquifers of their reserves for irrigation? I am sure more will every year when they realize they need better nutrition, can eat locally and what is in season, need less or no meat and can achieve
great health and longevity eating vegan and raw vegan diets, i.e. unprocessed foods. Also traditional chinese and japanese macrobiotic,
mostly vegan or ovo-pesco-vegetarian diets are sensible ways to feed yourself. Small dishes of a wide variety of quality foods are served at a meal; you never overeat yet are properly nourished. Foods and diets like these are easier to produce, take less land and can benefit from streamlined production systems.

To see what won't work watch the Ken Burns documentary The American Dust Bowl on PBS. To witness the next dust bowl just stay tuned to the long term effects of chemical fertilizer/pesticides and herbicides/GMO agriculture on some of the best farmland on the planet. Don't forget the waste and depletion of natural phosphate reserves worldwide.