permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:09:24 -0400

On 10/8/2012 9:54 AM, Rob Crook wrote:
I want to let you know that we are looking to work with aquaponic
projects to test out if our floating treatment wetlands can provide
enough fish food in the form of periphyton to the system. This is an
approach that seems to be accepted by several researchers in the
field.

Do you think there is any interest in our islands to be incorporated
into aquaponics projects?

Hello Rob:

I would think so since your floating islands are essentially modified chinampas. You are talking crop irrigation with wicked up nutrient rich pond water. This could become an essential element in the wetlands zone
system I described, growing aquatic plants to feed tilapia, and offer a
new function t that zone, plant production on the floating island/chinampa. These crops could be edible, livestock feed, ornamental, more fish food, used for further water filtration and purification or biomass used for soil improvement and compost.

Thanks for this important suggestion, a missing element in previous discussion.

I forgot to mention figs as another "whole systems" crop.

We still need to get a cup of coffee in Chapel Hill sometime.

Lawrence London