permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Brief comments on Natural Farming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Brief comments on Natural Farming
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 13:18:50 -0400

On 10/2/2012 11:05 AM, Dieter Brand wrote:
There is something about the idea of NF being elitist. NFers

The writer was not referring to NF as being elitist..see below.

certainly don't have the idea of feeding the people very close to
their heart. Anyways, calling it feudalistic is stretching things a

He was not referring to NF as feudal. He was addressing another issue,
within a flamewar, unfortunate circumstances. I extracted this snippet because I liked it and thought it to be a gem of wisdom, showing the potential of Iyo as a thinker and NF advocate.

Are you still subscribed to the fukuoka_farming list? It progresses slow and steady with much good information, great writing and excellent links. Linda Shewan submits useful and interesting posts..

Do you read the Fukuoka subforum at Permies? I recommend it. Read the input from Larry Korn and watch his video. This will inspire you about NF and Fukuoka in many good ways. Here's the link:
http://www.permies.com/forums/f-104/fukuoka

And this forum started by Jamie Nichol. I see you are a subscriber.
Mediterranean Natural Farming
http://groups.google.com/group/mednf?pli=1

little. Most of all, NF is NOT a "concept". Thinking of it in terms
of a static concept will lead you into the wrong direction. It is in
its very essence dynamic, IF it does exist. And that is a big if.

It is certainly that. I must have been practising NF, natural gardening and natural landscaping for most of my life. Many concepts, practices and disciplines merge within NF.

Attaching Buddhist or other labels to it doesn't help either. Linda
was right about the idea of "design" distinguishing NF most clearly
from Permaculture.

They are part of one another, inextricably linked as I see it. NF could be considered subjective while permaculture is objective. Permaculture seeks to design and implement systems that emulate Nature and become natural or NF in their most basic elements.
NF gives direction to those designs and installation of them. Permaculture does not just "seek to emulate Nature" is seeks to be nature, harmonious with on site and off site ecosystems, a dynamic process, continually changing and self-stabilizing (sustainable, regenerative). Permaculture leads to NF and NF provides timeless and essential design criteria, not to mention inspiration.

I am going in a new direction with my farming and web development.
Whereas before I ignored NF, now I am seeking to convert most of my farm to that state while using raised beds and employing minimum as well as no till methods.

Here are my latest online resources. I am excited about developing these along with my investigations of soil quality, nutrient balancing and nutrient dense cropping and nutrition. Sounds like MF to me.
I will spend more time on the Google+ page and the Blogger Blog to begin with. Maybe you would be interested in joining one or more of these.

Fukuoka Natural Farming

New Google resources on Masanobu Fukuoka Natural Farming

fukuokanaturalfarming site
fukuokanaturalfarming
http://sites.google.com/site/fukuokanaturalfarming

fukuokanaturalfarming group
fukuokanaturalfarming
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/fukuokanaturalfarming

fukuokanaturalfarming blog
fukuokanaturalfarming
http://fukuokanaturalfarming.blogspot.com/

Fukuoka Natural Farming Google+ page
https://plus.google.com/b/110283802853538126401/110283802853538126401

Aside from that, it could be pretty much
anything. It presupposes a "dialogue with nature" that will not be
confined into the straightjacket of any preconceived "design".
Nature is always different, in each place, at each time, for each of
us. There is no one-fit-all solution to it. That is uncomfortable.
That is the challenge.

That is classic, Dieter. Credit to you. May I use this in my various NF webites/groups/blogs?