permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: showing interns/wwoof'ers a path to their own farms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: showing interns/wwoof'ers a path to their own farms
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 14:19:57 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: showing interns/wwoof'ers a path to their
own farms
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 11:27:17 -0400
From: Eric & Melissa Brown <milkandhoneyfarm@hotmail.com>

We've had several WWOOF'ers/interns stay with us over the last few years whose interest in alternative/direct-market farming has seemed very limited by their lack of vision for any way to get from where they are now to making a living farming. Many seem to really enjoy it and some seem to even believe strongly in the value of it, but it still doesn't seem to them like any kind of option for a livelihood to begin pursuing in their foreseeable futures. I'm considering collecting 10 or 20 stories to show them that it can be. I'd like to especially help young 20-somethings connect the dots from where they are now to the early stages of making a living with their own farming operations. So I'd like to communicate with other organic (unofficially or officially) farmers that have relatively recently completed a transition from 20-something non-farmers to farmers meeting all their present living expenses from their own farming activity and that are willing to share their stories.

If you're one of those farmers and might be willing to share your story, please get in touch with me.

Thanks,
Eric

Milk and Honey Farm
Yadkinville/NE Iredell Co.