permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:45:31 -0400

On 4/26/2012 5:27 AM, Dieter Brand wrote:
Hi,

I remember reading that Egyptian farming a few thousand years ago
produced a higher yield per acre than industrial farming in the US
today.

My files and data resources are in a complete mess and I can’t find
that reference again. I now need it because I’m involved in a
general discussion forum about the need for sustainable farming.
These people are completely ignorant about farming and firmly believe
that industrial farming is the most efficient farming method in
existence. They won’t believe anything I say unless I come up with
some good references.

Can somebody help me out with some easy to understand references or
scientific studies showing example of traditional farming that did
achieve a higher yield than industrial farming.

Here is something regarding the use of natural farming methods and
materials versus synthetic chemical fertilizer: