permaculture - [permaculture] Fire Ants in Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fire Ants in Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:29:45 -0500

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of or seen any models of using fire ants to till garden
beds? They make the soil so loose and friable-similar to pigs. I was
thinking it might be possible to bait fire ants to an area that I want to
convert to growing area by leaving something sugary on the ground and then
letting them do their work. Has anyone tried this? Success? Disaster?

Thanks,

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, South Carolina