permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:26:18 -0600

Jay,

Found your email here. Sorry for the delay. This is the model we came up
with, cost, less than USD50. It makes significant amounts of carbon, which we
add to pig manure and then compost. You can see pictures of it here.

I meant to respond to this. Solar water pumps... how much water do you want
to pump, what elevation? I have used a lot of pumps, but the best are
Grundfos ad Sun Pumps.

If you want more info on pumps, let me know.

Best wishes,

Christopher

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Jay Woods wrote:

> On Monday, November 14, 2011 11:48:12 PM christopher nesbitt wrote:
>> Lawrence,

>> We are working on developing a home stove at low cost for families who burn
>> wood for cooking here in southern Belize. This is an alternative for rural
>> people who cannot afford the natural gas/propane/butane/fossil fuel that
>> people in more developed countries use. We have a design that uses a 55
>> gallon drum and a welded old propane tank. Total cost? About USD75, less
>> than the price of two full tanks of propane, and it gives heat for
>> cooking, has fairly complete combustion, and leaves us with carbon to bury
>> in the soil. This is not an industrial byproduct, or a way to make money.
>> It is a way for small farmers to improve their soils while sequestering
>> carbon (generated in natural gas/propane/butane/fossil fuel run stoves,
>> for example), while getting the heat they need to do their cooking.
>>
> I checked your website for more information (esp., construction) without
> any
> luck. Can you guide me on this?
>
> In addition, I need to set up a solar water pump (in the few gallons per
> day
> range). Do you have any further information beyond the name "Outback Power"?
> (I assume that this is http://www.outbackpower.com/ people.)
>
>> Again, I suggest anyone considering the merits, or lack of, of biochar, to
>> read Albert Bates book, "The Biochar Solution". That is one way to become
>> an informed person on the subject.
>>
>> Christopher

>>> Its all about using an industrial (probably wasteful and polluting
>>> processes) byproduct to create another product to market for high dollar.
>>>
>>> It does not make any sense to char biomass to make charcoal that then
>>> must be pulverized and field spread (often using fossil fuel) when all
>>> that needs to be done is to allow weeds to control weeds, crimp or roll
>>> them to make a semi living mulch that controls weeds, adds seeds and
>>> organic matter to soil to increase OM and eventually humus while
>>> significantly building soil quality and productive capacity.
>>>
>>> Thumbs up for notill agriculture (and minimum till).
>>>
>>> LL
>>> Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist and Biointensive Gardening Guide
>>> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
>>> permaculture forums http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums
>>> Market Farming Mailing List
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/marketfarming
>>
>> _____________________________
>> Christopher Nesbitt
>>
>> Maya Mountain Research Farm
>> San Pedro Columbia, Toledo
>> PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo
>> BELIZE,
>> Central America
>>
>> www.mmrfbz.org

>> Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist and Biointensive Gardening Guide
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
> [...]

  • Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar, christopher nesbitt, 02/09/2012